Home Deliveries During the COVID-19 Pandemic: What You Can Do to Stay Safe
When a delivery comes to your door, follow these steps to help reduce the spread of germs.
Before a delivery
- Review how to properly wash your hands with soap and water or sanitizer for at least 20 seconds. This is the best way to reduce the spread of germs.
- Have cleaning supplies ready, like sanitizing wipes or household disinfectants. You can also use a diluted bleach solution (2 teaspoons of bleach to 4 cups of water).
- Set up a clean surface (such as a small table) for your deliveries. The surface should be easy to reach, easy to clean and large enough for your deliveries. This is the “delivery table.”
- Set up a second clean surface (such as a small table) for your deliveries once they have been sanitized. This is the “clean table.”
- When possible, pre-pay for the delivery by phone or online so that you do not have to sign for it or use a payment machine when it arrives. Do not pay with cash.
During the delivery
- Keep in mind: The greatest risk with home delivery is having contact with the delivery person).
- Ask the delivery person to leave the item at the door.
- Ask the delivery person to call you or knock on your door to let you know your item has arrived. Make sure the delivery person steps back from the door 6 feet or 2 metres so you can get your item.
- If you must pay at the door, pay by debit or credit card (tap if possible). Clean your card and sanitize your hands right away.
After the delivery
- Open the package outside if you can. If not, pick up the package and place on your “delivery table.”
- Open the package.
- Clean the outside of delivered items using sanitizing wipes or household disinfectant.
- Clean fruits and vegetables with running water only.
- Once clean, put your sanitized items on your “clean table.”
- Throw out of any bags/boxes in a garbage bag or recycling.
- Sanitize your “delivery table” and other things you may have touched. This could include taps, light switches door handles, garbage and recycling bins, etc.
- Wash or sanitize your hands.
- Put your delivered items away.
- Wash or sanitize your hands again.
Other ways to reduce the spread of germs
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just cleaned your hands.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Practise physical (social) distancing (ideally 2 metres).
Greater risk for older adults
Adults older than 70 are at greater risk of getting sick. They are also at greater risk of having significant health complications if they get COVID-19. Right now, there is no vaccine for COVID-19, and no one has built-in protection if they get sick.
Stay home when possible
Avoid going shopping. Ask your family or friends to deliver your groceries and medications to you, or use an online delivery service.
Clean surfaces properly
COVID-19 can live on surfaces such as metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days. Sanitize surfaces in your home, including cellphones and tablets, on a regular basis.
More information about COVID-19
For more information and updates on the situation in Eastern Ontario, visit the EOHU’s COVID-19 page: www.EOHU.ca/coronavirus.
- All merchandise sold as-is; all sales are final
- Quantities are limited to stock on hand for many of our items; shop early for best selection
- Store pricing and/or discounts cannot be combined with any other discounts, other promotional coupons or other offers
- Merchandise may be priced according to quality
- Please measure all merchandise carefully before purchasing to ensure the products will fit through your entryways and in your home
All orders are subject to management approval. Any errors in calculations are subject to correction. Payment is due before delivery. A 1% Service charge (18% annual) will be charged on all account balances 30 days or more past due. All refunds will be mailed by check or credit card. Store credits are valid for one (1) year from date of issuance and can only be used for purchases made after the date of issuance.
Special and custom orders cannot be cancelled after 72 hours. A 50% non-refundable deposit is required before production can begin. Cornerstone makes no warranty of Suitability or Merchant ability of any product for any particular place or use. Balance is due before delivery. Merchandise held over 30 days from availability to delivery must be paid in full and is subject to storage charges.
Estimated delivery time for customers own material special orders, begins when factory receives all customer’s material. Time is not of the essence. The customer accepts responsibility for providing access to premises and making sure that items purchased can be delivered through the entrance, elevator, hallways, doorways, etc… Customer bears the costs of hoisting and unusual delivery methods.